Through the generous donations from a member of the Canberra community, we are delighted to offer the following Organ Scholarships open to applicants entering Years 6 to 10.
Applications are open throughout the month of February, one year prior to the first year of Scholarship (i.e. February 2022 for 2023 Scholarship).
The Ann Jory Music Scholarship
This is a rare and exceptional opportunity for ongoing piano students to extend their keyboard abilities and master a new instrument: the organ. The Ann Jory Scholarship is awarded to the successful candidate for a three-year period, subject to annual review. This Scholarship supports the cost of organ tuition with the school’s organ tutor up to a value of $2,500 per annum. The full cost of annual tuition (45-minute, weekly lessons) is $3,250; the parents/guardians of the scholar are required to pay the balance ($750).
CGS Organ Scholarships
Up to three CGS Organ Scholarships may be awarded each year, for one year only with the possibility of renewal. A Scholarship supports the cost of organ tuition with the school’s organ tutor up to a value of $2,500 per annum. The full cost of annual tuition (45-minute, weekly lessons) is $3,250; the parents of the scholarship recipients are required to pay the balance ($750).
All applicants must:
- Have passed at least a Grade 6 piano examination
- Be in Years 5 to 9 at the time of application
- Be a student at, or be prepared to be a student at Canberra Grammar School
- Undertake an interview and audition.
Applicants may be shortlisted prior to audition. At the audition an applicant will be required to play on the piano:
- One piece of their own choice that demonstrates their technical ability
- One Hymn – music will be provided in advance; and
- A short piece to sight-read that the audition panel will provide on the day.
If successful, Organ Scholars will be required to:
- Attend a weekly organ lesson
- Play the organ as required for regular school Chapel Services
- Play the organ as required for special occasions.
Please email the Music Department at email@example.com to apply or if you have further questions.