Through a generous donation from a member of the Canberra music community, we are delighted to offer two Canberra Grammar School music scholarships.
These scholarships are aimed towards students currently studying piano, who, having reached a minimum standard of AMEB Grade 4 or equivalent, would now like to extend their keyboard skills by pursuing lessons on organ. This is a rare and exceptional opportunity to extend your abilities and master a new instrument.
Each scholarship is worth $2,500, with the money being used to help cover 12 months of lessons with Mr Christopher Wrench. Lessons would take place during school hours in the CGS Chapel. The full cost of annual tuition (45 min lessons) is $3,250; the parents of a scholarship recipient will be required to pay the balance ($750). The scholarships will be awarded on an annual basis.
Ideally, one scholarship will be awarded to a student in the Primary School, year 5 or 6; the other to a student in year 7 or 8. Lessons would commence as soon as the two scholarship recipients have been chosen.
Conditions of Scholarship
The recipients will be required to:
- Either be a student at, or be prepared to be a student of Canberra Grammar School
- Attend the weekly organ lessons
- Play the organ as required for regular school Chapel Services; and
- Play the organ as required for special occasions.
Applications Close: To be confirmed.
Auditions: Will be held during Week 9 in the CGS Chapel. The audition panel will be Mr Philip Swanton and Mr Craig Woodland.
Applicants may be shortlisted prior to the audition.
For the audition you will be required to play on the piano:
- One piano piece of your own choice that demonstrates your technical ability.
- One hymn – music will be provided; and
- A short piece of sight-reading that Mr Swanton will provide on the day.
Please feel free to contact the music department if you have any questions regarding the two new organ scholarships.
To Apply: Please email your application to email@example.com with a short statement expressing your interest and indicating why you wish to be considered for the special opportunity.