Creative and Performing Arts
Canberra Grammar School offers a dynamic Visual Arts and Design curriculum, complemented by a co-curricular programme to allow students to extend their creative intelligence through a variety of mediums.
The Art and Design curriculum is constantly evolving to embrace new technologies and approaches that engage and stimulate our students’ imaginations.
The Canberra Grammar School Gallery proudly supports young and emerging artists in the Canberra community, with close links to the Australian National University’s School of Art and the Emerging Artists Support Scheme. The Gallery regularly exhibits established indigenous and international artists, young graduate artists and the work of students from our own Junior and Senior schools.
Canberra Grammar School produces several plays and musicals throughout the year, with opportunities for students to take both stage roles and technical crew positions. Often held in conjunction with other schools, students always enjoy being a part of our vibrant productions held in the Performing Arts Centre.
Music is a tremendously important part of Canberra Grammar School as we recognise that an appreciation of music is a source of enduring pleasure that will last a lifetime.
Music is integral to the daily life of the School, and instrumental, classroom and Co-Curricular Music weave together to provide opportunities at all levels of music education; from solo and ensemble performance through to the study of music history, composition and musicology.
The philosophy behind music at Canberra Grammar School is to:
- Instil a lasting love of music in all students
- Encourage students to come to a better understanding of music through relevant and exciting musical experiences
- Nurture the musician that is within every student through active involvement in music making; and
- Provide each student with a sense of personal achievement and to develop self discipline.
Canberra Grammar School offers a wide selection of choirs, orchestras and bands for students, as well as many smaller ensembles for individual instrumental groups.
- Canberra Grammar School Choir
BANDS, ORCHESTRAS AND ENSEMBLES
- Barrett, Middleton and Fischer Concert Bands
- Armstrong and Fitzgerald Jazz Bands
- Percussion Ensemble
- String Orchestra
- Cello Choir
- Guitar Orchestra
- Advanced Guitar Ensemble
- Electric Guitar Ensembles; and
- Instrument Specific Ensembles.
You can contact the Music Department on:
Senior School Music Office
T +61 (2) 6260 9805
Junior School Music Office
T +61 (2) 6260 9843