Prime Minister Stanley Bruce laid the foundation stone for our original Red Hill campus in 1928. CGS grew from its humble beginnings as Cooma’s Manaro Grammar School at the start of the 20th Century before transferring to the vast sheep paddocks of early Canberra. It was a far cry from the bustling capital city of today. With 15 acres and only a few complete buildings, CGS began educating the region’s young men in 1929.
In that year, CGS commenced with Headmaster William Edwards, a small staff and just 50 students. Today, we educate more than 2000 students across our two campuses.
The School’s many alumni include Olympians, artists, musicians, business people, philanthropists and politicians, including Prime Minister Gough Whitlam.
Our heritage is rich, and our future is full of possibilities. As a community, we’re excited to educate the next generation of change-makers.
Our connection to Canberra and its people runs deep, and long shall that continue.
Type on the line above then press the Enter/Return key to submit a new search query